Monday 16 March 2009

Budapest record haul

Sing Hosannah! I shall have mini-bites this Christmas and beyond! I am once again interwebueller. And what better way to celebrate than to update you on all the ever-so-slightly obtuse records I grabbed whilst in Budapest last month for my girlfriends birthday. In a nod to those odd television programmes that would occasionally drop an actor and confusingly bring in another to play an already established character (if memory serves me correctly this happened with the eldest sister in Roseanne and to Joe Mangle's son in Neighbours) in this particular episode my girlfriend is played by my good friend Richard but the spooning and hand relief was no less good.

Haul is perhaps a little too exaggerated for a meagre eight records but I was very happy with my finds not least for the bizarre exchanges that took place in their purchasing. Apparently Hungarian car-boot traders and record dealers aren't ready for hip young twenty somethings from London in tight jeans and overly clever t-shirts to swagger in to their lives requesting records by Hungarian musical luminaries such as Omega and Illes. More fool them (I am after all 31 years of age). It didn't end at Hungarian psych-pop classics neither - I grabbed some Votel endorsed Polish progressive jazz ('space hop' or something was all the description I needed), Czech beat and some other wants in the process all for very reasonable 'off-the-Bay' prices. It's nice to actually get your fingers dusty now and again and capture stuff in the wild. My only grumble returning home was to find I'd left a good wedge of nice lps and singles behind that were actually comped on the Finders Keepers 'Well Hung' collection and cost next-to-nothing. Bah. There's always next time I suppose.

No comments: